The Guilty Pages
This month’s guilty pleasure is a nineties fad that will NEVER die in the truest of hearts: DAWSON’S CREEK.
1. The vocabulary of these high schoolers is such that words like “ineffable” fill the script. The thought of living in such an ineffable world, where fifteen year olds know how to speak with ineffable class and distinction warms my ineffable heart.
2. James Van Der Beek- is this really what we classed as a “dream boat” back then?? In any case, his acting is perfectly, well, ineffable, and his dramaticism something to praise for decades to come. I fully believe that any person hoping to get into acting should study Dawson to the closest T. (and then do the opposite)
3. Katie Holmes and her occasional singing. HOW I LOVED her squawking version of “oonnn myyyyy oooowwwwwnnnnn” and of course the deepermeaning it had within the plot. At the time of her singing, Joey the tomboy is actually competing in a beauty pageant. No really! She’s a tomboy, but she drops it for one night, turning into the beautiful swan we all knew she could be, and she knocks Dawdaw off his feet! How do the writers come up with this stuff??
4. Social commentaries- on everything from drugs to sexual confusion. All of your life lessons in one ineffable package.
5. Occasional fight scenes that even Days Of Our Lives couldn’t match.
6. The fact that the writers finally found a way to make climbing through a bedroom window CUTE and not CREEPY (If you’re going to throw Clarissa in my face, please reconsider whether or not that was cute).
I’m pretty confident that you are sold on Dawson by now.